Work and Residence Permit
Nordic citizens from Denmark, Iceland, Norway, Sweden and Finland are free to move to the Faroe Islands to work, study and live.

Citizens from all other countries need a Work and Residence Permit before they can take up residence or employment in the Faroe Islands. This also applies to EU citizens; since the Faroe Islands are not a member of the European Union, the regulations on free movement for citizens of EU countries do not apply to the Faroe Islands.

In order to receive permission to work and reside in the Faroe Islands, foreign nationals need to apply with the Danish Immigration Service, which will process the application in consultation with the Faroese Government.

The website of the Faroese Immigration Office provides good general guidance for people wishing to work and live in the Faroe Islands, including information about the laws and regulations relating to immigration, and information about the permit application process and requirements.

The website of the Danish Immigration Service also has much useful information about the regulations about working and living in the Faroe Islands.

Travel visas
Citizens from the Nordic countries and EU/EAA countries are permitted to enter the Faroe Islands without a visa and can stay for up to 3 months.

Citizens from other countries may need a visa to visit the Faroe Islands for the purpose of business, personal visits and tourism. Find out if you need to apply for a visa here.

Applying for a visa
You can apply for a visa to the Faroe Islands at a Danish Embassy or Consulate in your country of residence. A list of Danish Embassies and Consulates around the world can be viewed here.

The Danish Immigration Service has more information about how to apply here.

It is worth noting that, although visa applications to the Faroe Islands are under Danish jurisdiction, a visa to enter Denmark does not give the holder the right to enter the Faroe Islands, and vice versa. The visa must be explicitly specified for the Faroe Islands or Denmark.