Work and Residence Permit

Nordic citizens from Denmark, Iceland, Norway, Sweden and Finland are free to move to the Faroes to work, study and live.

Citizens from all other countries need a Work and Residence Permit before they can take up residence or employment in the Faroes. This also applies to EU citizens; since the Faroe Islands are not a member of the European Union, the regulations on free movement for citizens of EU countries do not apply to the Faroes.

In order to receive permission to work and reside in the Faroes, foreign nationals need to apply with the Danish Immigration Service, which will process the application in consultation with the Faroese Government.

The website of the Faroese Immigration Office provides good general guidance for people wishing to work and live in the Faroes, including information about the laws and regulations relating to immigration, and information about the permit application process and requirements.

The website of the Danish Immigration Service also has much useful information about the regulations about working and living in the Faroes.